I haven’t gone all mushy on you don’t worry, but Valentine’s Day is getting close so I thought I’d show you how you can get some love from your website over to your Facebook page. You see, if you’re trying to grow your Facebook fan base, one of the easiest things you can do is add the Facebook Like Box to your website. Let me tell you why you’ll want to do this and how you can get the ball rolling.
The Facebook Like Box looks similar to this (in various sizes):
There are plenty of ways to convert visitors from your website into Facebook fans, however the Like Box has a few advantages which I really like, these include:
1. Social Proof
By installing the Like box on your website you can demonstrate social proof. You can see in the above image the actual faces of the people who like my Facebook page and you can see the number of fans that have pressed like. Both of these attributes help people determine if they are going to press the like button.
2. Improve Visit Duration
By adding the Like Box Facebook plugin to your website, visitors will be able to press ‘Like’ without leaving the web page that they are currently viewing, this is of course if they are already logged into Facebook. This means that visitors are more likely to stay on your website for a longer period of time and therefore are more likely to find a product or service of interest.
Each time a new user visits your website the faces that appear in the Like Box will be personalised based on the Facebook user logged into their account. For example when I’m logged into Facebook, the faces that I see in the Like Box on my website are mostly the faces of people who are my friends. The plugin does this because we instinctively recognise faces quickly.
I’m not a website developer and I don’t write code but I can easily copy and paste code into my website if I need to. WARNING: If you don’t have access to the back end of your website (or you are not confident in editing the back end of your website) I highly recommend you speak with your website designer and ask them to install this code for you.
If you are keen to give it a go this is all your need to do:
1. Visit this URL https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like-box/ and you will see this plugin tool on your screen:
Each time you change something on the left it will update the preview on the right.
2. The first thing you need to do is visit your Facebook page and copy the web address from the browser like this:
3. Choose the desired width and height
4. You can choose to show faces or not to show faces. I like to keep the faces there so people can recognise their friends, this can act as an endorsement
5. You can choose a dark or light like box, this is what the dark version looks like:
6. You can show the stream or take the stream away. The stream is simply the content from the status updates that you make. It’s up to you if you would like to show this and it might depend on how much real estate you would like the plugin to take up on your website. This is how it will look if you choose to take the stream off:
7. To remove the text that says ‘Find us on Facebook,’ simply untick ‘Show header’
8. Now all you need to do is press the button that says ‘Get Code’
9. Finally copy and paste the code into the section of your website where you would like it to appear or provide the code to your website designer and they can add it for you.
If you’d like to see a youtube clip with these instructions take a look at this clip:
If you are having trouble click here to view the clip.
Now it’s over to you: Is your website loved up with Facebook? Have you added the like box to your website? Do you think it’s easy enough to give it a try?
Author: Celina Johnson
• Customised social media set up
• Daily Monitoring of your social media
• Marketing Plans and Strategies
• Experienced in Shopping Centres
• Experienced in Retail
• Experienced in Small Business
• Media trained
• Experienced in stakeholder liaison