Today I thought I’d talk about images and the most respectful way to share on social networking sites.
You may or may not know this but it’s considered disrespectful (and probably against copyright law) to download an image from a social networking site (this includes taking a screen shot) and re-post it to your own profile as if it were your work. Many businesses do this and unfortunately some users simply aren’t aware that they shouldn’t. I’m not a lawyer but I always aim to share respectfully and you can too.
I find the best way to share other people’s images is through the native share functions available on each site or through relevant third party apps. This allows for the correct acknowledgement of the originating source in a very subtle way.
If you’re not sure how to share an image through these sites, here’s a quick ‘how to’ for each of the top social networking sites:
To share to another Facebook page:
1. Click on ‘share’ from the original post
2. From the drop down choose ‘On a page you manage’ then choose your page. You can customise the comment to something you would normally say and click share
3. Then you can see the image posted from your Facebook page
TIP: If you aren’t ready to share the post and you’d like to schedule it as a new post, simply click on the image, copy and paste the URL into a new post and you’ll see the original image display ready for you to make your status update as normal.
To re-post via Instagram:
Make sure you download Repost App for iPhone and connect it to your Instagram account.
1.You’ll need to like the image on Instagram, open up your Repost App, click on the likes (heart shaped icon at the top) and select the post you’d like to share with your followers
2. Click Repost
3. Choose where you’d like the acknowledgement to display from the originator and click repost
4. Next you should see the option to ‘open in Instagram’ and you can post as usual
To share from Pinterest all you need to do is re-pin:
1. Locate image and press re-pin
2. Choose your board and add a description, press post
To re-tweet on Twitter:
1. Locate the tweet
2. Press the ‘retweet button,’ it looks like this
3. Press ‘Quote Tweet’ and delete everything except the twitter pic hyperlink
4. Add your own text and add ‘via @isocialize_au‘ or the originating twitter account handle at the end.
Now it’s over to you: Do you have any tips for sharing respectfully online? If you do, please feel free to comment below.
Author: Celina Johnson
• Customised social media set up
• Daily Monitoring of your social media
• Marketing Plans and Strategies
• Experienced in Shopping Centres
• Experienced in Retail
• Experienced in Small Business
• Media trained
• Experienced in stakeholder liaison